Sunday, May 22, 2011

All things great come to an end. . . .

Wow! What an amazing 6th grade. Even though it was my second time, I feel like ISKL prepared me for 7th grade more than my other school! There have been so many things that I am proud of, my most proud of is my layers of the earth project in science. This project was during our "Earths Interior" unit. We got paired up with another person (Sheta) and we had to create a project that somehow represented the layers of the earth. It had to be a scale model that includes facts and the scale. Me and Sheta made a 3D earth made from cardboard and paper. We took two circles, made them to scale, and put a slit in each one, then we slid one into the other and hung it from the wall. Mrs.Rosendale loved it and said that next year she might have everyone do that instead of coming up with their own.

Even though I had a lot of highlights, I also had a lot of assignments and projects that pushed me to my limit. The biggest one was probably the Ancient Egyptian Diary. This probably wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't in Perth. But when I came back, the catch up was hard work and there was consequences to be made but in the end we got it done and I am happy with myself for that.

Looking back from the beginning of the year 'till now, I think I have definitely grown as a student. Even though this is my second round of it. I enjoyed growing into new habits, and getting into more of a routine. I haven't, though, enjoyed the process. I have had a couple dips in my grade. But I think that more than anything, thats just another opportunity to learn. People aren't judged on their succes, but how they handle their failures.

Now it's onto looking back on myself and evaluate my work habits, I think that behavior in class is satisfactory. Sometimes, I probably frustrate teachers with my loud and over used mouth. But, I also think that I have a positive energy and that I am open to criticism. I think that participation is where I am most strong, I would say that I almost ALWAYS participate in class. I don't enjoy being the person in the corner that doesn't want to be involved. No sir. Now, onto organization. I think that I am satisfactory. I am very organized with science, math, and art. I almost always have my materials for those classes, but humanities (I'm not going to lie) is so so. Sometimes I forget about that peer editing checklist or I didn't bring a book for SSR. But those are problems that will go away over time and with effort. I think I need some help with effort. I get so distracted by what's going on personally that I lose sight of my grades and school. I am going to be blunt, I'm sort of lazy. I don't always do my work in Humanities, I slack off sometimes, but I have learned from my mistakes. Next year, I get to start off with a clean slate.

I have many great feelings about moving to the "upstairs" lockers. But I would like to make two goals for next year:

Goal #1: Work hard, keep my nose to the grindstone. I don't want a repeat of this year. And I want the ability to go on trips and not be traumatized by all the catch-up work.

Goal #2: Read more, I have learned so many things this year just from sitting all alone in my room for and hour and reading. (Even if it is just Justin Bieber's book was born). I need to clear more time to just read.

I am so excited to meet and get to know my new teachers. I think that they mostly know me, but here are some things you should know:
1. I talk a lot sometimes.
2. If you give me the chance, I will be with my friends whenever I can.
3. I think that I have good leader ship abilities.
4. I enjoy hands-on activities.

We did a lot of really enjoyable activities this year. My favorite must have been creating the mobile. I loved printing the pics and creating the design, things like that really help me learn! But the activity we should have spent more time on was the imaginative narrative. I felt rushed and it didn't feel like the best work I could have done.

This has been a year to remember. But future 6th graders, here are some things you should know:
1. When your teacher tells you to follow the lit circle schedule, FOLLOW IT. I made the mistake of not following it and I payed the price.
2. Take peer editing seriously.
3.Have fun! Don't be too serious because then you miss out on all of the fun times. The 6th graders are known for their energy and happiness! Don't end that reputation now!

Overall 6th grade was amazing. Even though I will miss all of my teachers, I can't wait for the journey ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment